View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

This is in reference to the EGR build that T Vago was presenting.

Apologies first of all to T Vago for the thread jack. It is a good sound build. And I used it as an example of what happens when extemporaneous and unthoughtful postings are interjected into a thread.

I am not one to engage in flippant repartee or vulgar banter, but even without that approach, I can be very damaging.

The first thing to remember is, it is T Vago's thread and respect must be given to his train of thought as well as to his standing as the author.

So, what do I do? I undermine his authority as the original poster (OP). I make veiled or direct references to his lack of understanding of the subject and continually do so throughout. This is a basic tactic of arguments whether consciously done or not.

Next I attack his train of thought by simply arguing point after point, nit-picking around the edges, waxing pedantic about the smallest points, obfuscating his original intent. It has the same effect of burying a thread in stupid postings.

Then I jump to conclusions. I lead the reader off the path by making an ending that may be plausible or not but has not been reached by the OP's build.

And I continuously needle the OP to get a reaction. Making him uncomfortable and defensive.

Does any of this seem familiar to you? It should, because this is exactly what happens to pretty much any build that starts here in the Corral.

If someone is starting out with a sales pitch, well, that's a different story. But, if someone comes in with an honest desire to share a build, I expect we can be as considerate as to builds that reside outside the Corral. The Corral was created for such situations. But, it is not license for a free-for-all to apply the said tactics I outlined above.

Let me bring in a post from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Some people just really don't like HHO text pollution.
My self included.
HHO and similar super secret magic bullet pseudo science is cancer to the ecomodder community.
Because when you say that you want to, or that you have improved the fuel economy of your vehicle most regular people automatically assume you are one of those crazy HHO or magic black box users.

If you want to do HHO there are plenty of forums out there for the experimentation of HHO and other pseudo science.

This is the forum where the mods have some basis in proven science build upon known laws and well understood phenomena or at the very least taking an automotive industry idea and expanding or improve on it or taking an industrial energy saving concept and trying to apply it to a vehicle.
This post shows the tone of many members of Ecomodder. That is alright in and of itself. But, by preventing any honest inquiry into subjects such as HHO, vapor carbs or plasma ignition ( I use these examples for a reason ), you NEVER get to an answer you can point to as reference whether for nay or yay or maybe.

I have made posts on the subject of seeding, precursor entrapment and high enthalpy reaction conditions to provide nothing more than the acceleration and strengthening of the combustion event in stoichiometric as well as in lean-burn regimes in the spark ignited gasoline engine. The posts are buried and derailed by the usual suspects and others unknowingly.

Over the next couple of years, I hope to get some answers for the Forum Community to the above mentioned subjects. Even if I believe otherwise, I will start the inquiry here in the Corral where it belongs until we have concrete groundwork. It will be slow, as one would expect since the level of evidence must meet the level of scrutiny required.

And I expect the same respect due build threads outside the Unicorn Corral.

Again, all apologies to T Vago. He was just an easy target. But, I trust he will survive and so will his contributions.

The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
iveyjh (09-04-2014)