View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #101 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
The only problems I see, making this idea not very cost effective, is the need for 3 different power supplies for the battery chargers.

Each charger is about $110, so two of them will be $220. Power supplies bring total cost up to $300. I can get a standalone charger for my entire pack for $250-$350.
That is a comparison you will have to consider ... I've known people that have done it either way.

- - - - - - -

Note :
Depending on the specific details ... separate power supplies are not always needed ... that gets back into the input-output isolation issue I mentioned above.

I haven't done it with the iCharge myself... but I suspect the topology is similar enough to the PL8 that it might behave in a similar way.

2 examples of input-output isolation concept using PL8:

#1> I have used 1 big power supply (or one feed in supply battery) ... to run 3 PL8's all at the same time .. as long as the PL8s outputs are electrically isolated from each other ... that's how I did multiple tests running at the same time... for your pack if you had jumpers or something you could use to electrically isolate those outputs you might be able to do something similar.

#2> I have also done the opposite ... 3 electrically isolated separate power supplies (one for each PL8) .. or one feed in supply battery for each ... all 3 PL8 outputs going to one battery (that's how I did over 100A charge-discharge tests).

Note: I had to have one of them (inputs or outputs) electrically isolated from the others ... it didn't mater much which one I isolated ... as long as one side was isolated.

Note: Some other devices have their own internal input-output electrical isolation ... those kinds of devices would not care at all even if there was no electrical isolation even on both input and output ... but that depends on the topology / design of the device.