View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
There is almost no value in the triangle when the WHOLE of the community is bagging on a thread. ...
Thanks for taking the time to reply. And no, I am less emotional about this than most. I just don't like bullies. The Unicorn Corral attracts bullies...
Well, thank you!
I was afraid was I was overly terse, in hindsight, but you took it with good grace.
I feared also that you were turning into the very thing you were complaining about. Not any more now.

Now, for all, the fact that something is in the Unicorn Corral should be enough to tone down the criticism. The subject is officially disputed as for being there, it is already hanging in the ropes so to speak.
Time to count to ten before you even think of hitting it again.

For those threads that got deleted, there is a thread about that so I'll keep it short here; the mods say that things got out of hand before they noticed it, if the disruptive posts had been flagged they might have been in time to cut out the bad and keep the good.
Flagging does help.

About professionalism and instrumentation.
It is true that it is hard to measure the effects of modifications just by comparing *gauge efficiency readings or tank averages over distance, because of the many varying factors. But if you know the effects of what you are doing, it is often possible to devise a way to make them visible without complex instrumentation.
Ernest Rutherford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is my hero in that aspect, for advancing science with very basic experiments.

I don't have a dynamometer but I can see on my UltraGauge how my EGR flow rate varies and how that influences engine load, intake pressure, and instant fuel economy.
The EGR flow % usually matches the difference between engine load % and intake pressure % within a few %.
Not surprisingly, at a fairly constant speed and varying load situations, engine load correlates strongly to instant fuel consumption.
The EGR flow allows it to get low under a relatively high intake pressure, reducing pumping losses and raising intake temperature.
I found I needed to trim down my grill block a bit as I saw both EGR flow and my economy drop when it got hot.

It was crystal clear to me that the EGR flow does help FE, and it made me wish there was a way to safely increase it even further under low load situations.

In comes T Vago's thread, doing just what I was dreaming about.
Then you stepped in. I understand you are convinced he is making mistakes there, but I was not convinced you were right about that.
We sometimes need a critical approach to help people avoid or mend mistakes but to achieve that you must put it in a way that one is willing to read and able to verify.

I deliberately make no references to my education as I want to make my comments speak for themselves.
Anyone should judge them for their content, not for what's on my bookshelf.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-05-2014 at 05:12 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (09-05-2014)