View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Big Van
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for all the great and quick responses, everyone. The van in question is a Dodge Ram 3500. The engine is a 360 or thereabouts. Tour driving is almost exclusively highway, loaded down with up to eight people and a weighty collection of amplifiers and drums (so weight reduction is kind of a hopeless proposition). I am always careful to drive slowly (usually between 55 and 65), and I'm going to try to implement some of the more involved driving tricks detailed on this site.

Johnny Mullet, what kind of engine/exhaust mods would you suggest? And does anyone know if synthetic oil lives up to the hype?

I'm hoping aero mods will yield decent gains. (I realize, however, that this thing will always be a gas guzzler; I'm just hoping to take the edge off a bit.) One that I'm kind of hopeful for is an addition to the roof, which is now long and flat. I'm thinking kind of like one of those conversion van fiberglass raised roofs, except designed for aerodynamics instead of headroom. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?