View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Thanks for a very lucid post.

It is true that you can get very good indications and measurements of core processes from seemingly tertiary readings. Your discussion was very good.

My criticism of T Vago's methods was largely in jest. I understand Ecomodder is largely composed of Hobbyists and not full time research firms with large budgets. It was mostly a backhanded jab at the request of some on this forum that I prove my research not just with concise and repeatable testing but with credible independent third party test labs (EPA quality) and proof by production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post

It was crystal clear to me that the EGR flow does help FE, and it made me wish there was a way to safely increase it even further under low load situations.

In comes T Vago's thread, doing just what I was dreaming about.
Then you stepped in. I understand you are convinced he is making mistakes there, but I was not convinced you were right about that.
We sometimes need a critical approach to help people avoid or mend mistakes but to achieve that you must put it in a way that one is willing to read and able to verify.

I deliberately make no references to my education as I want to make my comments speak for themselves.
Anyone should judge them for their content, not for what's on my bookshelf.
Understand, I played at being the fool in criticism. I understand exactly what T Vago is attempting. I have already contacted him and deleted my most abrasive remarks as I was purposefully being a disruptive person. I encourage others to do likewise and help T Vago put his thread back in order.

However, the link to the SwRI paper makes it clear that increased EGR is very limited in scope when applied to low load fuel efficiency. This is the area most of us are interested in. T Vago's 7.7% gain is already there. Someone made mention of heavy pulse and glide regimes. That could be another area increased EGR can be effective with even more gained during the acceleration, though because of the limited time at that load, it's overall effect is minimal in comparison to low cruise.

One parallel to the induction of EGR is the use of water injection - specifically water vapor. You can see much the same effect at the quench limit. Ricardo makes mention of it about 80 years ago while Glassman does the same in current reference. When induced as a true vapor, water has the ability to aid fuel efficiency in the same way as EGR induction.

And I make mention of my education because my posts are often met with derision because they are understandable only to a few. "This is why this is in the Unicorn Corral", was one reply to a post that took me hours to condense and simplify as to the principles of combustion in an effort to make it more understandable. The criticism came from someone I consider an ally in engine mods, but it made it clear to me that I cannot educate the forum to a level as easily as the topics of aerodynamics, mass and resistance. Those are easily visualized and understood in a tactile way. Combustion mods, not so much.

The work of T Vago, Oil Pan, the Honda crew, pgfpro, iveyjh, dustyfirewalker and others, is time consuming and is less understandable to the casual reader as the above mentioned mods. But, they all share the same basis - combustion.

Last edited by RustyLugNut; 09-05-2014 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (09-05-2014)