View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
SilverCrown9701
EcoModding Apprentice

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
edit: fat charlie beat me

Driving without brakes (DWB) isn't completely doable. It should really be called driving using the brakes as little as possible since you can't eliminate using them entirely. Every stop you make you use brakes, you just need to. If you can coast down from 45 to 25 mph before a stop thats pretty good IMO. The slower you coast down the better obviously.

I coast a fair amount in automatic transmission cars. The real test is when you put it back in gear (at speed), does it lurch? If it does, you can try to rev-match to minimize the lurch (I do this). Or, you can coast in gear (least efficient).

Idling in drive always uses a bit more fuel than shifting to neutral. On my Sunfire its about 8% more .
Ok, that's good to know! Because I've been pulling my hair out nearly at having to stop every time LOL. I don't like stops but I'd rather not get a ticket or endanger lives either.

If I can safely "coast" through a stop sign at 15-20 MPH with nobody around then I will notice that lurch when I give it a certain amount of throttle but that's when it's in DRIVE, my guess is it's trying to up shift quicker??

Last edited by SilverCrown9701; 09-08-2014 at 03:02 PM..