View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
My ex-girlfriend insisted that the car used less gas in neutral than park, but I told her that it was not worth wearing out the transmission to go from 0.27 GPH to 0.25 GPH for an average of a minute or less, when the car was rated 25 MPG. If you drive 55 MPH on the freeway (limit 65), you use 2.2 GPH.
My car uses just about 60% of the fuel when idling in N, foot on the brake, compared to idling in D, foot on the brake; even though it revs a bit higher, freed of the load.
That also makes it recharge the hybrid battery faster. So it does not only save me fuel then, it will also save me fuel later on.

Still I prefer AutoStop, not burning fuel at all now, even though it may need to compensate a bit later for the slight loss of charge.
I use less than 0.2 GPH idling in N. But then, I use about 0.4 GPH (1.5 l/h) at 38 mph. Sadly I need to go faster most of the time.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (09-08-2014), user removed (09-29-2014)