View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #37 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You describe having DFCO while in neutral, which does not sound possible. I am not doubting you regarding the 0.6 GPH in idle, but my Forester only uses 0.25.

It really depends on what you are doing. If you are a light-timing genius, you should never need to coast in-gear or use your brakes, while DCFO uses no gas and neutral uses a little, how much do you use accelerating back up to speed?

If you have a stop sign, would you prefer to drive at your city mileage and then DFCO, or coast in neutral for a much longer distance? That is, unless you have people behind you. I always do, all hours of day and night.

If you have a very gradual hill and you can roughly maintain your speed in neutral, that makes more sense than keeping it in drive and getting 40-45 MPG, because you could get 91.67 at 55 MPH.

If you have a steeper hill, you need to stay in-gear for engine braking, and sometimes you need to downshift.

My ex-girlfriend complained that the transmission was rough shifting between neutral and drive and then she replaced her transmission mounts. She is my ex-girlfriend, I try to avoid her and definitely not to help her think through her problems anymore, but I did try to explain that some repairs are not worth the money, and how terrible an idea it is to pay for things when it puts your account in overdraft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (09-10-2014)