View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #65 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
No, you don't apply the handbrake. Obviously, if you apply the parking brake the rear wheels won't turn. To check the rear wheels on a FWD vehicle, leave the transmission in park. They should turn freely. They are not attached to the drive train on a 2 wheel drive car that has FWD.
Park is fine for auto trannies, but better not take a risk. I've seen a car fall from a jack once. Luckily noone got hurt - that time.
Better not push your luck and use the parking brake just to be sure. Or block the wheels. Combine measures, just for if one should fail.
Quote:
No, if the transmission is in neutral the wheels should turn easily.
My CVT was in N and the front wheels were about 5 times as reluctant to turn as the rear ones. And when they did, the opposing wheel went the other way; not fully, but it had the tendency. So even the part ahead of the diff offered resistance.
It may be a CVT particularity, but I know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
That could be it. But there should be no rolling resistance when in neutral.
I can push my car with 2 fingers on the flat; it is the heaviest I ever owned and the easiest to push, despite the resistance in N.
I found out I can even push it in D, engine off! Resistance is not that great too, but of course bigger than in N.
CVT is a strange animal.

[edit] not that strange really. N disengages the engine from the whole tranny, not the tranny from the drive shafts.
By turning the shafts you turn both drum sets and the connecting shackle belt.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-11-2014 at 03:34 PM..