View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chrysler kid
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
So if I go and buy a used factory Civic CD deck (which I want to do), isn't there some sort of code derived from the car's VIN of the deck's donor car that I need to make it work? Is there a way around it? Can I then get any old keyless remote and somehow program it to work?
I have been attempting the same thing with my vehicle. However due to their poor visual design many times junker cars are even missing the factory radio. The radio was up top and the cd player or cassette player is behind the cup holder.

I believe the 96-98 models do not need a security code. You would need to source a radio from a hx/lx/ex model which came with power locks. The rf unit is a separate assembly affixed atop the radio on the back side. So you're looking at $60 us for a used factory radio and $50 for an rf fob. At that price it's almost better to purchase an aftermarket keyless entry kit. The radio also has a Honda service sticker you can call and have them give you a security code

Majestic Honda is a great place for honda parts and more importantly wiring and part diagrams

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 09-13-2014 at 02:18 AM..