View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
AusKiwi
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
I use a little (0.5%) mineral 2-stroke oil for extra fuel lube as well as a diesel fuel additive to keep lines clean, have not noticed difference in fuel economy, although bottle states "may improve FE".
I think the additive can help with bad fuel or if system is a bit blocked, but if system and fuel is good then additive is more of an insurance type thing.
I too have experimented with two stroke and also with Morey's diesel additive which is a similar oily consistency like the two stroke. Like you, didn't see a huge difference. More recently, I have been testing the Pro-Ma DT5 diesel additive which is more like the consistency of petrol, and contains a fuel system cleaner as well as a surfactant which breaks down any water in the fuel and a combustion modifier to make the fuel burn more completely. Long story short, the engine seems to have more power and I am getting as good as 5.7 litres per 100kms from my Citroen C5 2.0 HDi whereas before it was averaging between 6.5 and 7. I now use a combination of the three additives while I use up the Morey's but probably won't buy that again as the Pro-Ma product seems to make the biggest difference and if I want to boost lubricity a little more, the two stroke is way cheaper than the Morey's product. I joined up as a distributor to get the Pro-Ma DT5 cheaper so can get a litre of that for about $23 which works out about 2.3 cents per litre of fuel treated. I figure I am saving about 15 cents a litre at current fuel prices so I come out ahead, but even at full retail price it would still only cost 3.6 cents per litre of fuel treated so worth it for anyone to try.