View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
So the other morning in the Turtle, I found myself on I-4 in the slow lane headed east toward Orlando, trapped behind a semi with another semi on my left, and a jerk in his F250 20 feet off my rear bumper

Normally I'll steer clear of semis, due to the funky cross winds they give off, and the fact that you can't see anything in the road until you hit it, but I was penned it tight, and since neither of the trucks was bouncing, I knew they were both loaded down, and I wouldn't eat a rear end if one of them locked em up. There's a full breakdown lane on I-4, so I had an escape route lined up

I stayed a (fairly) reasonable distance behind, but I was right in their bubble, so for about seven miles until I cut off onto the Polk parkway, my mpg meter never budged from the max 150 mpg, it was like my car was invisible!

When life throws you lemons, make yourself some lemonade!
This is kinda a note to everyone, if your gonna draft a semi, pop out once ever 5 mins or so, so the trucker knows your there. Don't switch lanes or anything, just enough so the trucker can see you, and know your there. I remember my dad mentioning that that plus keeping a decent distance and he doesn't mind anyone behind him.