View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Helping out another friend with her Honda

My friend called me two days ago, I messaged her back, but never read her response.

Her car died. When I finally learned that, I picked her up, took her to her car, and even thoughher Civic is ten years older than mine, I used the troubleshooting section from my repair manual to not accomplish anything.

Her battery was dead, but I could not jump it. I finally convinced her to allow me to tow her the short distance to Autozone and I swapped batteries so she could use her flashers. Then I used her car to jump mine.

Towing her was aggravating, but we made it without her rear-ending me. The gentleman at Autozone did some troubleshooting and told me to remove the distributor cap. It was cracked, the compnents were worn out, and oil covered everything. I tried cleaning up the oil and the screw holding the rotor fell out.

Screws are supposed to require screwdrivers, right? Not shop towels?

My friend paid $28 for a new cap and rotor and the gentleman installed them. He said there was a bad o-ring between the engine and the distributor, which required a great deal of effort to replace.

Exactly how much effort? How long before oil ruins the new one?

Last edited by Xist; 09-18-2014 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Privacy