View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #607 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
2022? You have to wait until something is 30 years old to import it? Dang! My friend was looking at exporting cars to the Ukraine, they have some crazy rules about taxes based on engine size etc, but you can get around all of that if they are brought in as a "rental". Of course, we would have "rented" them for a very sizeable, non-refundable, damage deposit, and rental payments that would be much like a car payment ha ha - there's a loophole in every system

I went to go get groceries and spotted another wet coast, rust free, Canadian model Civic CX so I got mine to pose with it for a picture. Sadly, it was another autotragedy! That grocery store parking lot yields a lot of neat stuff, there is a mint Civic wagon that I see there sometimes, a Leaf, a Civic VX, and multiple Priuses.

And I haven't saved an old eco car in a long time. Hate me if you must, but man I ended up with a bunch of them sitting around, and nobody in this part of town wanted them. I managed to get rid of most of them without losing too much money, but I had to break my self imposed "no more little cars!" rule with this one.

I think it's a '91, I can't remember. Toyota Corolla obviously, 189k KMs (117k miles), 5 speed, no rust, Aircared (our local smog test), clean body, paint, and interior, even some fancy stereo that has a USB input etc. All it needs is 2 back tires. I drove it around and it drives nice. It sold to the scrap guy for $200. So I bought it for $250 (Having worked at the auction for 10 years means you get to make weird things like that happen ha ha, but its for a good cause). I make my living by finding big, mostly never going to be used for their intended purpose, trucks to export to the States for soccer moms to drive around in. And yet this car that is a well made, low mileage car that would fill that role perfectly and get good MPGs while doing it, is only valuable to the scrap guy. And me apparently ha ha. Sometimes I really want to get out of the car business, it's just depressing seeing what the majority of people think they "need", and what goes to waste as a result. /rant lol
HyperMileQC (10-06-2014)