View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
booferama
EcoModding Lurker

Hi, glad to join

Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Cincinnati, not exactly a hypermiling-friendly place (too many hills), and I've been hypermiling for a little over a month. My wife and I have two cars:

1) The primary car: 2000 Toyota Echo, manual. On the first full tank where we phased in hypermiling techniques, we got 41.65 mpg. We're on the second tank (seems like we've been on it forever), and we seem to be on pace for around 45 mpg.

2) The little-used, soon-to-be-sold gas guzzler: 2004 Honda CRV, manual. We got this because we do a ton of gardening and thought it would be great for picking up furniture at antique shops, but the inside isn't as big as you'd think.

I don't have a scangauge; trying to convince my wife it's worth the cost. My goal with the Echo is a consistent 48-52 mpg as we get more comfortable with the techniques.

Also of note: I've just started a website about various ways we're trying to green our lives here in Cincinnati, a city with bad mass transit and horrible governmental red tape that prevents real progress. It's greenincincinnati.blogspot.com if you're interested. I'm going to post a video about hypermiling soon, in part to dispel the dumb AAA myths about what hypermilers do.