View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Wdb,
You should probably take my aero template overlay with a grain of salt, because my truck is not 100% stock. I have 235/85R16 tires, so with an approximate 1” increase in diameter my truck is 0.5” taller than stock. I also have Bilstein 5100 shocks raising the front of the truck 1.75”. Lastly I only have the 3 spring leaf pack in the back (2 leaf + overload), so if you have the 4 spring (3 spring + overload) your back end may sit up higher empty.

Freebeard,
Thank you for your input, I hear you loud and clear. I have extensively deliberated the lack of significant plan taper in my plan, as well as the two side vertical “wings” that will be created at the back as the top tapers and the sides don’t. This is obviously far from ideal. Unfortunately, the windows in the cap are actually glass, not plastic, so I don’t have a way to cut them. I want to try to maintain visibility, so I want some kind of windows. I am really trying to avoid taking the cap all the way down to a base and starting over, but to correctly apply the template, I realize that is what I would have to do.

What I don’t have a good feel for though is how much worse will my less than ideal implementation be than a true cab extension half template. For example, rule of thumb “internet” data is a regular cab height camper top is good for 5% to 10% drag reduction, and that has no taper whatsoever. Similarly, regular bed covers are usually attributed around 5% drag reduction. These are both obviously far from ideal. An aero shell is often credited with 10% to 20% potential drag reduction.

I am assuming a mongrel shell, with no plan taper, is somewhere between the regular camper top and the aero shell, but we all know about assumptions... And then since it is only a half mongrel shell….

Good thoughts on the construction technique though, do you know of a source of fiberglass sheets? I may re-look at my old roof to see if I can remove the reinforcement without destroying the top panel.