View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Block Heater & Timing Belt

Done. Block heater, new coolant and timing belt.

Now a word about the Kats block heaters from NAPA. It isn't located anywhere near where Kats says it is. The instructions say front right corner of the engine block. Nope. After some Google searching I found that it screws into the block coolant drain just above and to the left of the oil filter, beneath the intake manifold.

The block plug is a large, threaded plug with a 19mm hex head, and let me tell you how tight it was: bloody friggen stupid awful tight. And it requires a 6" extension, so awkward. I should have said awkward too. I nearly blew out an o-ring getting that one loose, and when I did, I sizzled two nice burns on my arm from the still scorching catalytic convertor. Nice.

Oh, and I did the timing belt/idler too, which was easy once I had the proper 50mm crank pulley holder tool for removing the pulley bolt.

Now I am mad because the block heater cord isn't making good contact with the block heater. My timer turned it on this morning for a nice 1-1/2 hour cook, but my Kill-A-Watt said ZERO. After pushing the plug as hard as I could, hearing arcing and general electrical carnage, it started working….for now. So for today we will see how much of a difference a 45 minute coolant cook will make on my commute.