View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Undue attention to driving an old Honda?

Gentlemen, I have had two threads locked, please do not start arguing in this one!

Years ago, I was driving home from Church, and realized that the police were following me. I stopped at a store and watched them drive past. Someone told me that the police profiled me because I drove an old car. Recently, I have had similar concerns. People keep telling me different things. My family says that my car is a target. Mom keeps talking about some comedian that was pulled over just because he drove an old car, and the police assumed that he had something to hide. A friend wrote:

Quote:
I think the reason you get followed is that you tend to drive according to a list of eccentric rules based on how you feel you will get the best gas mileage and performance from your car. Some of the same behaviors from that list are techniques used by people who have been drinking (driving slower and more carefully)

That might explain some of your experiences...
The young lady whose oil pan I replaced said that only kids who want to race drive old Civics, which sounds like a terrible over-generalization. The garage shows 675 Civics. All of the owners are kids who want to race, right?

Have any of you been stopped while hypermiling? I imagine that you can say that they cannot stop you for that, but that was not my experience, and I really do not want any of you to argue over it.

Have any of you obtained the attention of the police and had difficulty ridding yourself of it afterward?

If you want details, send me a private message. Absolutely do not try to get me to reveal anything here, I will only ignore you.

My father passed away a few months ago and everybody liked his Focus. Nobody wanted to see it repossessed and my family keeps trying to get me to take over payments, I just did not think that it was worth getting into debt when I already have a car--two, actually!

Mom would only ask me to pay what my ex-girlfriend is paying each month for Bacon and one friend said that it would be worth selling plasma to have the Focus. With only the factory ecomods, it matches my HX's mileage, while being twenty-percent heavier, having 100% more doors, and without minor annoyances that my Civic has.

I hate thinking about putting my car on Craigslist, although I would hope to find a buyer on here.. I have all kinds of plans for this car, but I enjoy driving both. Dad's car is twelve years newer, with one hundred thousand miles fewer.

To be honest, I wish that I could offer this friend to make payments on this car, her Accord has not been starting lately, and has a host of other problems.