View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
I just did a full tune-up on my intake manifold and all EGR/VTEC valves, etc... I posted pics/details in my build thread. After that, the idle was cleaned up a good bit, mpg went up by about 3mpg, and (most notably) I had a huge increase in overall low-end torque/power, especially in gears 3 and 4.

However, while this fixed all of my power and idle issues, my throttle hesitation issue still remained. Still stumbled a good bit here and there. Not as bad as before the intake manifold tune-up, but still not good.

Finally, came across my solution: installed a new fuel filter.

I had run SeaFoam in my take 4 weeks prior. I think it loosened a bunch of crud in my fuel tank. I suspect that my fuel filter then caught all of that, essentially clogging it and reducing adequate fuel flow to the injectors. Once I replaced the filter, I solved the remaining hesitation issues.

Just be mindful: if you are doing a full tune-up on the intake manifold, that VX engines have a completely different IM gasket from any other 92-95 Civic. I ended up ordering mine through CarQuest. Dirt cheap and delivered to my local store within a day. Also, you'll need the CX throttle body gasket. Get BOTH VTEC and the IACV (shaped like an 8) gaskets from Honda. You will need an EGR valve gasket as well. Also look to replace the thermostat, thermostat gasket, and plan for heater hose replacements as well as PCV valve while your back there.

Best solution, in my opinion (in retrospect): order a complete gasket kit off of Ebay (all gaskets for entire car; $50). This is cheaper than a la carte, and a whole lot less headache/time tracking down gaskets. Also, silicone heater hose kits are available off Ebay from China. They take 3-4 weeks to special order, but are a great deal at only $50. They also look great too, which is an added bonus. Plus, again, they are all there, and you don't have to go hunting everywhere around town for each individual fitted heater hose. The smaller hoses attached to the oil filter housing, in particular, were hard to find. I ended up getting hoses made for other cars that were close and cutting them to fit for about half of the heater hoses.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by OG VX; 09-16-2014 at 10:10 AM..