View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Goldie Hawn is dead

No, not HER!
Goldie is my 1988 Honda Accord. I have a propensity for naming my cars after female movie stars. (My first car was an '85 Tempo named Cybill. )
On my way home from work last Friday, she started complaining. Grinding, vibrating,etc. It got worse and worse until I had to pull over to make sure I didn't have a flat tire and was running on the rim! I nursed her home and popped the hood. After poking around a bit, I found I could rock the engine substantially due to a broken motor mount. So I broke out the tools and went to work. Hey, I needed to change the timing belt anyway and I had all weekend. I was hoping the bolts or studs had just sheared and I could replace them. But this was what I found:

ARGH! That's not a new break, either. If you'll notice, class; the area where the missing portion SHOULD be, is grimy and soaked with oil. Indicating that whoever installed this (already broken) engine, screwed in the studs just enough to catch a few threads. The poor engine was hanging on by the skin of it's teeth. Maybe I shoulda named this thread 'Brokemount Backin' Sorry.
Well, to shorten the story, we bought another family car and I 'inherited' the old one to commute in; a '03 Vibe .

SO...
I have a dead '88 Accord in my garage and I'm not sure what to do with it.
Donate it to Goodwill?
Yank the ICE and make an EV out of it? Nah, it's too rusty for that. Even though I really want an EV.
Yank the drivetrain and sell off the remains, then try to repair the crankcase, and use the drivetrain in a tube-framed, fiberglass-sheathed tadpole?

Hmmm.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brokemount.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1179  

Last edited by Tango Charlie; 07-16-2008 at 11:18 PM..