View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
[Transmissions/mpg]

Hello all.I'm very late getting to the general discussion sticky on ecomodding.SVO and others have thrown out some great stuff and of great value to anyone considering mods.I have some tid-bits to add,and I thought I'd add them individually.-------------------------------- Transmissions have a tremendous effect on an engine's ability to transfer power most economically down the powertrain to the drive- wheel(s).I'm not saying that you can just run down to the corner parts store and get a different tranny to shove in your car,but it's important that everyone understands the significance the transmission plays in mpg.------------------------------------- So far,a 12-speed transmission has demonstated the best gain (15%).They exist only in the lab.----------------------------- The Continuously-Variable-Transmission(CVT) is a form of trans thought to promise a 15% improvement in mpg.The Subaru Justy has used this transmission for a few years,and it delivers worse mpg than other cars in it's class.-------------------------------- Presently,Mercedes offers a 7-speed trans,and Lexus just introduced an 8-speed. We'll have to wait to see how they stack up.------------------------------------- The premise for all the gears,is to let the engine remain close to it's "sweet-spot",where it achieves it's highest Brake-Specific-Fuel-Consumption(BSFC),the point of load and rpm,where the least fuel per horsepower/hour or kW/hour are produced.