View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
TheGrimMechanic
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsworld View Post
Well I have some immediate expenses to take care of on my truck before I play with things... Need a full rebuild on the IFS . But once I get that done, I think I will delete cats, custom exhaust, smog pump delete, and see how that works. In the mean time, I think I will try to make the EGR work since I don't have the skills or money to correct timing and tune the engine if I remove the EGR. Thanks so much for responding, and again, great job on your FE!~C
When you get to the point of doing the air pump delete, pick up an underdrive pulley set. Found mine on ebay for $70 (new!). It's free horsepower and I picked up 1+mpg with this mod alone. Also saves wear and tear on the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump.

As far as deleting the EGR, it's not too complicated. The pinging at part throttle was with 85 octane fuel. A switch to 87 octane cured that until I bumped the timing back. The timing is easy to do. A timing light and a 9/16 socket on a long extension are all you need. Just remember to disconnect the 'SPOUT' (usually located near the master cylinder) connector before you set the timing and replace it when you're done. Lots of resources on youtube on how to set your timing.

Last edited by TheGrimMechanic; 09-17-2014 at 02:07 PM..