View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
Balto, thanks for the heads up. My car currently gets into lean burn at 65 mph and 2400 rpm in 5th gear just as you mentioned and is fairly easy to maintain. Were you able to still engage LB in 4th gear with the CX transmission? I figured with the longer gearing, target LB rpm can still be obtained cruising in 4th gear instead of 5th gear?

Also, do you think could switching to 13" wheels might help hit the target rpm range in the higher gears?
Yea but the mpg gain from the CX tranny didn't outweigh the loss of having to run in a lower gear. As for the smaller tires, wouldn't that be foolish? You would be adding 12% Taller gears then reducing it back to the way it was with smaller tires. I would recommend driving it like you are now. I'm not sure what RPM you shift at, but when I went from shifting at 2250 to shifting at 2750-3k I gained 3mpg. I can get into L/B Insight as low as 1300rpm.

Shift from first to second at 3-3.2k.
Shift from second to third at 2750-3k.
Third to fourth at 2500.
Fourth to fifth at 2250. Maybe 2500 if merging on the freeway.

[Edit]: If you plan on doing serious aero mods, like underbelly panel, boat tail, grill block, lower height, LRR tires, mirror delete, etc etc then the taller gears would probably be of benefit due to being able to travel at higher speeds with lower engine load. You would be able to do 70mph and get great mpg, and still be in L/B.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
Chrysler kid (09-20-2014)