View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #38 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The noon news today reported that 7 motorcyclists in Ontario were killed over a 72 hour period on the weekend.

One of the biggest reasons I got a motorcycle (since sold it) was for the challenge of learning how to ride - safely.
The last thing I want to do is sound like a reformed smoker... I absolutely LOVE to go fast, and love being out in the open air while traveling from A to B, and love that we all have that freedom to choose. Seems like 9 out of 10 a mc accident is the fault of the car driver, not the mc rider... a small consulation if you are the one layed up with injuries.

I was just reading about a colleague of mine who recently won an award, which in turn jogged my memory about my old honda cb125, that I sold to his brother 20-some years ago. I was remembering how (the brother who bough my bike) had a serious crash in the first three months of owning it. A Brain surgery, a skull patch-plate and months of hospital and home sheet-time later, he was good as new. Well, sort of What did he do with the lawsuit money? Bought a Harley...

The thing that intrigues me about what Vetter wrote, is his observation regarding poor FE of today's motorcycles (dispite advances in tecnology) after factoring in weight to displacement to frontal area and cd. Seems to him (and now me) there is a lot of 'low hanging fruit' in terms of improvements that yeild a very fuel efficient bike. It seems to me many of the same 'tricks' could be applied to 4-wheeled transportation as well.