View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'd assert just the opposite. The protrusion dies out with the curve of the bottom of the windshield. The creases in the hood are in a pronounced V-shape. It's like a 'bug deflector' that cause the air close to the hood to divert to the sides. Maybe to energize the air around the rear-view mirror?
They need to come together somewhat, the pressure over the slanted hood makes the air flow go sideways anyway,even more than those lines indicate.
If they went straight over the hood they would have a large angle compared to the direction of air flow, that would cause extra friction and turbulence.
Like an aircraft wing, the optimal angle of attack is not the maximal one.
This angle just nudges the air upwards without blocking it too much.

When I first saw cars with protruding A pillars I thought they had misplaced the windscreen. It went completely against my intuition.
As more and more models employ this trick I had to accept here must be a reason for it, and I believe it to be what I've explained in this thread.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-18-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Too many wrong keys on my keyboard...
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)