View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #118 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
For anyone who rides a bicycle in the winter, is it honestly practical? Do you switch tires and other gear to deal with ice?
When I lived in NYC I rode my bike everywhere, all year. Warm coat, overpants, mittens and scarf for the face are required. Also a tobaggan hat under the helmet. The only time I did not ride was once when it was 8F. I tried but it was too cold. Did not ride when there was snow on the streets. Snow riding is possible, but in NYC with the salt it turns into a giant slushy at every intersection 8 to 10 inches deep - too hard on the bike and too hard on me. Knobby mountain bike tires work fine on snow, but not ice. You can also buy or make studded tires.

I now live down south and the only time I don't ride is whan it is +100F. too much risk of heat stroke. It's really fine while you are moving, but when you stop it kills you.

I did not own a car for 9 months and used my bike for everything until recently. Groceries are not that hard. Most stores were within 7 miles of me so there was no big problem. Buy a bike messenger bag to sling over your shoulder for small stuff, and put a basket on the back for bigger stuff - it's like having a station wagon. You learn to buy small things and pack them well. Volume is the issue, not weight. For example, I could not buy toilet paper and cat litter on the same trip. Buy a canvas boat-bag and just drop that into the basket. Put a basket on the front too, because if there is a full one on the back your bike tends to raise up like a wild horse when you get off - Whoa, Nelly!