View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
j12piprius
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
I agree to go faster (target pace) some days, and easier/longer the other days. This is pulsing and gliding (recovering). Otherwise you're going WOT every day and not having any time for recovery.

Quote:
the slower that I jog, the more that my knees hurt
That doesn't make any sense, because slower running should be easier on your legs. Knee problems in runners are caused 99% of the time by either crowned roads or motion control shoes, i.e. shoes with rigid shapes and bottoms that don't allow your feet and knees to rotate with the surface. Many shoes have wide flares and built up heels, that cause havoc with the knees. I grind them off of my shoes and make them streamlined, like aeroshoes.

Your heart rate is not a big deal, but it's not going to 101% and you're not calculating the percentages correctly. Personally I'd go as long as possible one day, at up to 90%, then 50 to 70% for a couple of days (pulse and glide), then repeat. The longer and harder the pulse, the longer the glide (more recovery days). For example doing a marathon full out at max, would take about 3 weeks to recover, (with suitable gradually increasing pulses in between). You're only training for 2 miles though, so the pulses can be more frequent. The key is to balance the faster (target speed) running with recovery (at 50% to no more than 70% effort). At least make them half and half.

Let's say your maximum HR is 190 and your minimum is 70. I doubt that 190 is your maximum though, because you're running full out every day, and not running that far.
141 = [ 141 - 70 ] / [ 190 / 70 ] = 59%
163 = [ 163 - 70 ] / [ 190 / 70 ] = 78%
187 = [ 187 - 70 ] / [ 190 / 70 ] = 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I just climbed into bed, counted to sixty, and looked at my monitor, about 70 bpm, 38%.
The minimum HR is at 0% of your heart rate reserve.

70 = [ 70 - 70 ] [ 190 / 70 ] = 0 / 120 = 0%