View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Orca
EcoModding Lurker

Vernon - '13 Toyota Prius V

Percy - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 24.62 mpg (US)
Small update:

I filled up the tank and started tracking the odometer and the fuel gauge to start getting an idea of the fuel economy. I drove like I usually do - lots of coasting, gradual acceleration (as much as possible with this car), and never exceeding the speed limits. About half was city, half was highway. Roughly a third of the trip on this tank so far had 3 passengers and some cargo in the trunk.

~13% of the tank later, I checked the odometer again and did the math, which gives me 24mpg.

That didn't seem right.

This afternoon I checked the car over as much as I could with what little I know. All the fluids looked good. I couldn't find any dirt on the engine filter. The spark plugs and wires I could find, all looked good (shh I'm short).

Then I tapped and pressed the tires - they were abnormally squishy.

I took the pressure gauge out and measured all of them - they were all around 25 psi. The side wall max on the tires is 44 psi. So I filled them all up to about that number or a bit less (it was my first time pumping up tires so my instincts kept telling me that something was about to explode).

I'll be doing some driving tomorrow and Wednesday so I should start getting an idea of how much improvement the increased psi provides by then.