View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #81 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
.. so I calculate less than 1200 as it sits.
Wow - nice and light!

Quote:
With the Beetle, I'd like the primary battery pack to replace the rear seat, with a secondary pack in front replacing the gas tank sized for front/rear weight balance. And an option to plug-in an additional battery where the engine used to reside, or in a trailer, to extend the range. Minimum range would be a 3 mile track plus return road. There's always a wait in line between runs.
3 miles is pretty low. I would expect multiple runs on a charge.

Quote:
I'm assuming a DC-DC inversion, for instance a 1st/2nd gen Prius battery at 288 volts bumped to 650.
Good - that makes fewer cells and less space. BUT it likely means lower amps for your race, which would then be a slower time.

Quote:
But EV-Power | CALB (40Ah-400Ah) shows $55-60 per, or $11,520 for 192 each. Is that right?
Yes - that pack would likely give you a range of 100 miles in normal driving. Batteries cost a lot. But the 400A would be nice at 650V for your racing.
At 288V you would need 90 cells. That's still $5400 plus straps.

The racing setups I have read about (I have not seen any in person) use smaller capacity cells like A123 pouch cells (20 ah, 20C max discharge) to get a lot of power in a short time with a limited range. That does not work so well with a multi-function vehicle.

Quote:
Edit: used+Prius+battery+pack into Google returns pricing in the range $1760-2628, with one site offering "...from $850". So that's my default choice. Dimensions are 15 x 40 x 9 in. I can't measure the back seat width right now but it's 42" at the rear window. So I could stack two or three there.
Using 288V instead of 650V gives you a lot more choices.

Quote:
What's a headway cell? There is an access plate at the front of the center tunnel that's about 1 1/2x3". If I could slide 6ft long sticks in there in pairs it might hold six.That would be 92 cells right below center of gravity. That might present cooling problems though.
Headway is just a brand name. Like Panasonic or CALB. Headway are used more in the RC helicopters and scooters. They are a cylindrical cell, like a extra-large D cell .. at least that's the type I've seen pictures of.

6 feet of cells, 38 mm (1.5 inch) in diameter, screwed together (they apparently have threaded holes in each end) would give you 13 in a stick * 3.2V = 41.6V. 288V would need 7 sticks.

Figuring out which cells you can use to make good use of your available space, get the voltage output you want, and be economical, is a challenge ... you will likely have some trade-offs.