View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
BLSTIC
Master EcoModder

Delivery 'Boy - '86 Suzuki Mighty Boy
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

SkipSwift - '13 Suzuki Swift GL
90 day: 35.44 mpg (US)
Replacing my car with a semi-recumbent bike

Ok so I've decided to do an experiment in the name of fitness. Replace my car (an 08 Suzuki Swift, 1.5 Auto) with a bicycle for as many trips as possible. If I commute on the bike and do small shopping loads on it on the way back from work (a supermarket is conveniently located on the flat road that goes between me and my workplace), I should be able to eliminate all but my across town trips, or foul weather.

So my car use will go down, the average trip length for it will rise considerably, and the cute hippy girls will sing my praises for losing weight, saving money, and killing less nature.

So in the interests of saving money, I spent 380nzd on a giant revive

That's not me, that's my favourite editor, he got one long before I did. And has a turbocharged insight, turbo prius, various recumbent trikes, and no end of cool stuff on his website. Shameless free plug AutoSpeed - Technology, Efficiency, Performance

So now that I have the bike, I'm thinking about luggage options. The seat back precludes me from wearing a backpack, and a milk crate strapped to the back looks ugly, although technically perfect for my use.

I need a lightweight, lockable container for the back for wet weather gear, tools, etc.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrabbit
In God we trust. All others: bring data