View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

I was asked to post some more details of my suggestion.

It does require brakes and or engine braking. But no stop and go. The view is great though. There are several pullover scenic views on the road, not to mention the top. This was part of NY/MA/VT mpg rally that was held for several years a while back. BTW it's all paved, under 55mph roads. The ascent road is like 25-35mph.

It is a bit of a climb, but it's worth it for the people coming from different places. And everyone takes the same route soeveryone takes that portion of the mpg hit.

We can take route 7 north from Pontoosuc lake (Pittsfield) which is a gentle grade up and a very gentle descent that you can engine off coast for miles. Turn on route 43 which is more gliding down hill at 35-40mph through some rural country into Williamstown. This is the portion were you rack up the mpg.

Then take the climb up Greylock. It's 1 part climb. Take the view at the top. And then the descent is 2X as long as the climb which is good for mpg but requires either brakes or engine braking. The Mountain climb takes you back to the start. The whole road is views of the Catskills in NY. At the top there a stone tower (War memorial) you can climb, i'll have to see if it's open. You can see into central Mass past Springfield. There's also a lodge at the top.

It's a really nice route that has a purpose. I doubt you'll find a better route in any city. No stop signs or traffic lights. It's like a mandatory scenic route that all the motorcyclists and out of state tourists take.

There's plenty of parking both at the start and the top. Especially on weekends, the roads are very lightly traveled so we can go as slow as we want without upsetting people. It's a simple route with few turns that is easy to follow.
brucepick (09-23-2014)