View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #36 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Got my mountain bike together and initiated it on a 40 mile "triple trail challenge" that almost killed me lol. So work continues on my favorite money pit.

I finished my last fork blueprint last night (finally got to use my carbon paper again!) and also did some tabulation. I'm going to get some copies of the blueprint tonight and then line up a time to get the fork welded up.

My friend gave me a set of Shimano SPD clipless pedals he wasn't using, and with some measurements he concluded that they could probably be rethreaded to go into my Schwinn crank. We'll see. Again, last resort would be to get new spindles machined with the correct specs.

Here is a running list of expenses for the project, for the curious and for my own convenience. I will try to update this when I spend money on crap. I'm including some vendor names in case anyone is looking for similar items.

Wheels
Front hub (Sturmey Archer XRD-8(W)) and 20T cog-....$166, Bikeparts.com
Rear hub (Shimano Deore disc front)-........................$21, Universal Cycles (UC)
Chrome 36h rims.............................................. .....$40, Calhoun Cycles
Spokes, store bought + nipples.................................$40, UC
Custom-cut front spokes.........................................$36 , Brooklyn Bike Doctor
Tires (Maxxis Hookworm)......................................... $40, UC
Rim strips and tubes............................................. ..$12, UC

Brakes
Rear caliper (Hayes MX5 cable disc from a friend's bike)..$30
Rear rotor (Tektro 160mm)........................................$20, UC
Levers............................................ .......................$free/parts bin
Front brake is a drum, included in hub price

Donor Bikes
Huffy [Granite?] (former winter commuter)....................$25/parts bin
-BB and frame segments
-Threaded headset

70's Schwinn Exerciser......................................... ....$10/parts bin
-65T chainring
-Minty Schwinn oval head badge
-Assorted tubing
-Minty BB bearings

80s Free Spirit Dynasty 10spd...................................free
-headset for under seat steering
-(the rest of the bike will be donated to the LBS)

Other
Crank, one piece (Schwinn Stingray or similar).............$5, East Side Bike Shop
Pedals (Shimano SPD).............................................$ free from a friend

Welding
Front fork.............................................. ...............traded for snow tires

TOTAL
$447

Last edited by Sven7; 10-04-2014 at 05:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-04-2014)