View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
3. On the third hand, if you keep the freezers inside, the "waste" heat helps heat your house. So yes, you now have to pay for electricity, but none of the electricity is "wasted" so to speak.
I've thought about this, quite often... and it's really not worth the extra expense.

See, your house will /always/ be warmer than the freezer, which, in turn, makes the freezer not as efficient at cooling it's interior, and also makes it run more often.

So it's running longer, and more often inside the house, almost regardless of the outside conditions [unless you live in the Mojave, perhaps].

Now, for the few bucks a year difference, it probably doesn't make any difference to even some savings-minded individuals, but I prefer to leave them outside for the cost savings and life-extension of the units.

This place isn't the greatest insulated, but heating shouldn't be too bad... maybe $200/month in gas for the 3 worst months, less so if we focus more time on cooking at lower temperatures and using the oven more frequently, which helps to heat the living space. I don't bother heating the bedroom fro the most part because we're sleeping and don't care about what temp it is.