View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
jlk16188
EcoModding Lurker

Jelly Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 50.4 mpg (US)
So i decided to waste $400 to test this whole theory out for the sake of argument.

I have a functional, Bosch i believe, 5 wire O2 sensor that i bought and installed roughly 33,000 miles ago. The senor works fine. I average 47.7 MPG per tank for the last 10 tanks in a row. I would compare more but I have had other mechanical issues causing my last 30,000 miles to be troubleshooting mileage. The car operates fine. Stumbles a little at idle when hot and seems to misfire or jerk at high loads in lean burn. It is noticeable when entering or exiting lean burn but you really have to be expecting it to transition in order to feel it.

So, I bought the OEM Honda O2 sensor from Majestic Honda in RI for $425.25 shipped. I removed the known working and good condition aftermarket O2 sensor and replaced it with the OEM honda one. First thoughts were the sensors look IDENTICAL minus the numbers on them are different.

I have only driven 60 miles on the new sensor so far but here are my first impressions. Exactly the same MPG's maybe even 1 MPG worse than my normal commute. Lean burn transitions are not noticeable at all unless under heavier load when I can feel a torque drop but no shudder or slight hesitation when going lean as before. No more shudder or rough idle when hot. Weight reduction due to the $425 less in my wallet

Overall, was it worth it? That has yet to be determined. My old sensor would give me good days and bad days by which I mean some days it was effortless to average over 50 MPG on my daily commute while others for no particular reason I would struggle to get 45 ish MPG on the Same route, same gas, same pump, relatively same weather conditions, The car just felt like it didnt want to run optimal that day. I am hoping the OEM sensor will cure this so I have all "good" days averaging over 50 MPG on my daily commute.

I will keep everyone posted. I did fill up my gas tank just for the purpose of tracking data after the sensor swap. I am really hoping I didnt just wast $425 after already spending $100 something on an aftermarket one that still functions well.

Keep in mind, my results will be slightly off due to my geographical location...central and western Pennsylvania, I drive up or down hills constantly, there really is no flat ground here and I have a 96 civic CX hatchback transmission rather than the stock VX trans.