View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #78 (permalink)
paulgato
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beast - '02 VW Goff Estate S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
You make very good points and I don't really disagree with any of them.

If I were to go the thermostat route, I'd probably use a lower temp thermostat though, say 160F. This would ensure that the trans thermostat opens before the radiator thermostat even begins to open up.

That all being said, where could one get a stand alone / inline thermostat housing?
I did a Google search for "inline thermostat housing car auto" and turned up a few...

RANGE ROVER P38 4.4/4.6V8 - In-line Thermostat and Housing Assembly (PEM101130) | eBay

...this being one of them. Seems inline housings are used in Range Rovers, maybe Jeep Cherokees too. But anyway they seem to be available. The Range Rover one seems to be nice and compact, although I'm not sure why it has three spiggots and not two.

[Edit...] Or this one...?

http://files.qedmotorsport.co.uk/k-s...at_fitting.pdf

...but I still think the gearbox will neither know nor care about a difference of 10 or 20 degrees at around about engine temperature. I wonder if Toyota have tested their gearboxes towing a caravan up a mountain out of Death Valley. Vehicle manufacturers tend to test at extreme temperatures because they want their vehicle to be sold into every market world-wide. (The Taliban used to use Toyota pickups in the desert of Afghanistan I believe. That's some kind of endorsement I guess.)

Last edited by paulgato; 09-25-2014 at 04:47 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to paulgato For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-25-2014)