View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Thinking of leasing a new Nissan Leaf

I did not drive it today, drove one a couple of years ago, after 5 miles the range was greater than when I started.

They offered me what I think is a good deal.

$5k down (my choice) and $155 a month for 1000 miles a month for 3 years.
I can buy the car at that point for $11,331.

$10,580 total cost (of the lease) to me including all the taxes (@3.5%) fees et-cetera. Window sticker is $31,475 Total discounts are $9725 (including $7500 from the Feds) plus they added some more discount I think it was around $1200 more, but I have to check that out tomorrow.

Basically I can drive 36k miles for the $10,580 not including additional electricity. We get that from Dominions nuke plant about 20 miles from my house. We drive very little at night so regular 110 charging is fine and I can charge off peak. I rarely use heat and AC and the car will be garaged.

After 3 years I can buy the car for a total of $10,580 (the lease total) and the $11,331 for a total of $21,811. I checked out their interest charges by upping the down payment, $1000 saved me $8 over 3 years.

The wife as usual says she won't drive it to work, prefers her 26-7 MPG Sorento and the higher seating position, but after a while I think she might grow fond of the potential savings in fuel. I get free charges at the dealership for the term of the lease. The car has the quick charging option but I doubt I'll ever use it as the cost of wiring the house is not included but my nephew could do that if I ever decided I needed that capability.

I'm leaning toward getting the Leaf and selling all of the motorcycles (2) and the Sentra, but I might just keepthe Sentra for the occasional tripbeyond the range of the leaf. The two bikes should net me another $2k give or take, or about 10 of the 36 lease payments.

Thoughts?

regards
mech