View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I'm leaning toward getting the Leaf and selling all of the motorcycles (2) and the Sentra, but I might just keepthe Sentra for the occasional tripbeyond the range of the leaf.
I think you don't need to keep the Sentra for longer trips if your wife is keeping the Sorento. It makes sense for 2 car families to have one of those be an electric only. Fuel and maintenance costs are much lower.

I test drove a Leaf about 2 years ago and liked it, and would likely replace one of my vehicles with an electric if they were cheaper. The most I've ever spent on a car is $17k, and that was for a sport/luxury sedan that gets good fuel economy and is very reliable. That is the most I would spend on a car ($60k annual income), and I especially wouldn't spend more on a car that has less amenities.

That said, prices on used ones should come down, especially as other manufacturers get into the game. I think it's a little early to jump into EVs due to the lack of competition and higher prices. When is Musk's next one coming, 2017? That should heat things up.

As an aside; it bothers me at how un-aerodynamic the Leaf is considering the importance of shape to a range limited vehicle. My gasser is more aero than the Leaf.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!