View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I had several LEDs fail in the license plate holder and now the SMD towers in my park lights are starting to flicker.
The 3W SMD H11 towers that I use as DRLs in my fog lights work fine, all of their zillion small LEDS burn. It is just a bit underpowered, I'm tempted to put more powerful LEDs in.

The small SMD blocks in my under door lights had bad LEDs and color distortion.
I now have 2x5 LED grids and they work fine, though they are just too large to fit ricght behind the glass so they lauy on the bopttom of the lamp housing with all the wire and connector stuff in the way, yet much more light that the OEM lamps.

I have single LED festoon map lights and 7W 24 LED grids in my dome and boot lights. They are bright enough to read all the print of an insurance policy by. When I unlock my car the dome light lights up, and so does the area surrounding my car. Easy to find in a dark parking area

None of the LED grids in my car failed on me but one very powerful and cheap 20 LED grid I bought out of curiosity with no plan for it had a bad LED out of the box.

I had a delayed delivery (almost 2 months!) from miniinthebox and got a free reorder, gave one of the spare LED grids to my father in law who saw 2 out of 10 LEDs die.
The other spare LEDs that I put in my wife's car all work.

So, mixed results.
LED grids seem more reliable than SMD towers, interior lights have an easier life than exterior lights and LEDs in moving parts like doors and boot lids suffer most.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Cobb (09-26-2014)