View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #84 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgato View Post
Oh wait, ...

You want to only feed coolant to the gearbox when the engine is already warmed up, but limit the temperature of the gearbox to about 80 degrees C....?

So you need TWO thermostats.

And as normal wax thermostats OPEN on temperature rise, then this gets quite complicated I think, because really you want one of them to close on temperature rise. You could rig one to open a wide 'bypass' on temperature rise I guess, but that's complicated.

Alternatively, you could use a single 2-port motorised zone valve from a central heating system, which gets its OPEN signal and its CLOSE signal from two thermostat switches, so it is only open between your two desired temperatures. You could use adjustable thermostats so you can tweak the switching points.

(You'd have to find 12v motor/auto versions of these controls, or else use a small inverter, ...but we're only talking an amp or less here.)
I don't have anything designed yet. Its all just discussion at this point.

Quote:
all this stuff you wanna do to this car will destroy it. The block you want install on the tranny will not make it warm up faster. The insulated block will cause internal damage from the heat not dissipating.
Thats quite a dramatic statement. Care to explain a bit further?
jakobnev (09-29-2014)