View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
pletby
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
My Civic modding thread (2000 Civic Dx Coupe)

Hey Gang, thought I'd post what I'm doing to my car in case it can benefit anyone else looking to boost FE. I'm not going to be OCD about it, but will post pics and describe what I've done. I've copied what others have already done, and if I come up with something new it's probably just different materials that I just happened to have on hand.

Since I've already done most of the mods that I intend to do on this car I'll list them now.

Tires 45 psi:
Easy enough, bit harsher ride but improvements in FE right off the hop

Kill switch:
Little harder to accomplish but major improvements in FE. I bought this car just for this mod when my old Contour died.

Synthetic oil:
Changed back due to engine noise (high mileage engine)

On Board Charging System:
Installed a Genius 7A Charger

Battery Blanket:
I live where it gets REALLY cold in the winter. This keeps my battery performing at it's best by warming it 20C above ambient. Disconnected when the snow melts.

1000 Watt Circulating Tank Heater:
As an assist to my block heater, this warms the coolant and in turn the engine block.

2 Timers:
One to turn on my block heaters, one to turn on the cabin heater mounted in the back of the car. This way they are only on for a few hours before I start the car and that's it. I did it this way so I only need one cord to plug in the car. It's a bit more complicated on board to make it simple day to day.

Grille block upper and lower:
Major difference in warm up time in the winter. I hear it boosts FE too. Most people around here use them to help the engine warm the cabin faster. Used Coroplast backed with small wood blocks to achieve a flush fit on lower. Looks like car has teeth when removed ha ha. Upper just screwed on. Plan on replacing screws with stainless as they've all rusted.

House receptical installed in grille to plug in car (Use at own risk!) (Toaster modification):
Needed a nice flush mount way to plug in the car. My extension cord has a male plug on each end, so here's the dangerous part: I always plug in the car first, then into the house and unplug the house end first before the car. If I don't then I'm holding exposed live wires in my hand, so please just don't do this.

Voltmeter to monitor battery:
Important on long commute in severe weather like I am prone to do every day. Got a cheap plug into cig lighter unit from Canadian Tire.

Trunk located deep cycle AGM battery. Stock battery delete:
Old car batt died due to EOC abuse. Replaced with a battery meant for a real charge and discharge cycle. Ran 1Gua welding wire from stock positive wire through firewall on passenger side below battery tray through plastic rocker cover and behind interior plastic, then over fender into trunk. Found a place behind spare tire the battery basically is wedged into. Made a plywood trunk deck with a cutout for the battery that serves as a mount as stock mount ended up snapping. Picked up a heavy guage negative cable that's attached to frame bolt in trunk.

Front air dam from vinyl siding:
Just finished installing last night. Garden edging really hard to find right now (Who gardens in September says Home Improvement big box stores? Dummies.) so I used vinyl siding I had on hand. Had to paint black so we'll see how the colour holds up.

Side skirts from Vinyl gutter like CaliforniaCivic's:
Just like the title. Used small screws to hold it on and painted black. See his mods for more info.

To do:
Wheel skirts (just like a Cadillac ha ha)
Fuse for remote batt

Ok, that's it for now will post pics shortly.

Last edited by pletby; 12-19-2015 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: Updates
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (09-28-2014), MetroMPG (09-28-2014)