View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Honda100
EcoModding Lurker

MetroScoopy - '09 CHF50 Honda Metropolitan 50cc
90 day: 97.98 mpg (US)

Training Shoe - '99 Hyundai Hyundai Atoz Prime 797cc
90 day: 31.28 mpg (US)
Mate, there's a world outside Oz you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
US EPA estimates 15,000 people a year die due to diesel exhaust every year in the US...
The U.S. has extremely strict emissions regulations on diesel vehicles for consumers to the point where it's ridiculously complicated to have a diesel as an American consumer. The relatively unregulated diesels are the semi trucks, locomotives, and farm vehicles, not us SUV owners.

Quote:
In the city people 'have to' drive windows up, recycle on (given the black diesel smoke). Even on a cool day a car soon gets hot and the a/c goes on.

I hardly ever see a car windows down anymore. That's a lot of fuel being wasted across the fleet, caused by a few people 'saving fuel' in their diesels..
Again, there's a world outside Australia. Go to any big U.S. city and your windows are up anyway, even without a single diesel on the road. Leave your window down in downtown L.A. and try to tell me with a straight face that petrol cars are the saintly economical saviors of diesel emissions. Also to add, I get 21 mpg in my petrol Civic and 40 mpg in my TDI Jetta (which is U.S. emission compliant and makes ZERO black smoke).

Quote:
(the trades vehicles annoy me, but the $200k+ diesels just say "I'd rather kill you than spend a few extra dollars I can easily afford on petrol").
So, it's okay then for poor diesel owners who can't afford petrol to kill others too? What about used cars or muscle cars like those old Holden and Ford enthusiasts with no emission controls on their cars? And then it's somehow justified then that "we rich people" need to spend money on something just because we have it?

Btw, my Range Rover was 28,000 euro and I'm not rich and the petrol version was 90,000 euro equivalent. Import tax on a 5.0 liter is extremely high vs. a 3.0 liter.

Quote:
It gets worse as because of diesel popularity, it's now impossible to buy certain types of vehicles in petrol.
Australia maybe, but in the U.S. it's the opposite case. It's almost impossible to get most vehicles in diesel form (RRs included) and hence, we're extremely oil hungry and massive consumers of petrol. Even simple things like my Tacoma get 13 mpg in heavy New York traffic (windows up by the way because petrol exhaust is damn toxic too).

Quote:
As of the 'turbo diesel shove' it's actually the turbo part that's responsible for that. A petrol turbo will push you back in your seat just as well, except unlike a TD a petrol turbo won't run out of shove at 4K rpm.
Simple gearing, it doesn't matter when the vehicle redlines. I've seen Duramax Chevy's pull 12 second 1/4 miles with simple mods and they redline at 3k.

And by the way, it's judgmental to hold someone from another country to an irrelevant standard based on your own experience alone.