View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I thought it was only available in Canada and over seas?
I think you're thinking of the Nissan Micra.

One thing to remember when comparing the Prius to economy cars like the Fiesta and Mirage is that the Prius tends to have more technology and extras standard than the cheaper cars. So while the Mirage may start at $13k vs the Prius' $25k, a Mirage equipped similar to the Prius will be more like $17k. It doesn't make much difference in the break even time, but you have to remember than you are getting more car with the Prius. The Prius C, which starts at about $20k, would be more comparable.

I think you're mainly reinforcing that the purchase price of a car is one of the biggest pieces of the overall cost, especially with vehicles getting well above 30MPG. Which makes used cars that much better.

A big reason I went with a Prius was how effortless it is to get good mileage with it. We've averaged 52MPG over the 14k miles we've owned ours, with almost half of that being highway trips doing at least the speed limit (as high as 80MPH). Plus its bigger than most of the newer cars that are getting 35+MPG. Its not the hands down best choice, but its certainly worth looking at a used one.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
Cobb (09-29-2014), FordFiestaS (09-29-2014)