View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Agree to disagree! I have never had so much fun hypermiling than I have had in the Turtle!
EPA sets the Gen-1 Insight average mpg at 53 mpg, but if you go to the team competition in the garage, you'll see they're the #1 car, right behind motorcycles.
Hypermiling a hybrid is definitely possible, and definitely fun! Don't really know what you could do in a Prius, but for the record, I got my Insight for the same three grand you're getting ready to drop on that one.

*Expect to hear from Balto on this too, lol!
LOL I literally went to reply when I saw my name. Anyway, I have driven a Prius, they are not for hypermilers. There isn't much you can do besides airing up tires full of air, grill block, wheel covers and wheel skirts. You can't EOC, you can't really do much of anything. The car is extremely boring to drive tbh. For 3k, I would definitely get an insight or heck, even an echo would be better.

I spent 2k on my insight, so far I have spent.
124$ on a new radiator.
44$ on 3qt of Honda MTF and Honda coolant.
18$ on a new thermostat.
29$ on a EGR from a 1999 Honda Accord.
68$ on a used wideband o2 sensor and sun visor clip (not here yet).

Gonna need to spend.
45$ on new spark plugs.
17$ for gasket to fix exhaust leak.
340$ for a grid charger. (you will need one of these for your Prius anyway).

So for 2700$ I got a good condition insight. Right now with a bad o2 sensor which is slaughtering my mpg, knockoff tires, exhaust leak, and wrong spark plugs, I'm beating what the best people are getting out of the Prius. I don't think there is much more to say, unless you need the 5 seats that the Prius allows.

[Edit]: I would like to add 2 things.
1. Cost would have been about 170$ less but I misdiagnosed my overheating problem.
2. The insight is an absolute BLAST to drive. I installed a Calpod switch (enables me to disable regen/assist at will) the day after I got it or close to that. I have never had so much fun driving a car. I had a civic before this, and it wasn't even nearly as fun to drive. There are so many things to consider while driving this car. Then again, on a few occasions I have said screw it, I'm just gonna drive. I STILL managed to get 48mpg, and that's pure city driving with 3.5-4k RPM shifts! That beats the Prius hands down!

This one is oprobably out of your price range but, it's really nice and is worth your time to read.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4684520093.html

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 09-29-2014 at 06:20 AM..