View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #83 (permalink)
SilverCrown9701
EcoModding Apprentice

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
I would say that the chart would apply generally to most 4 cylinder engines around the same displacement.

Main thing to notice is that you need to stay under 3K to stay in the most efficient area.

With my SG I use current mpg...avg mpg...TPS...coolant temp. TPS allows me to monitor throttle position relative to current mpg.....I watch coolant temp since I have mods restricting air intake.

Since TPS is directly correlated with current mpg (when cruising at speed)...you can train your right foot TO OBEY. ;-)

What is REALLY NEEDED would be a readout that indicated the actual efficiency at any given time? With my car when accelerating at say 37 TPS ...I see maybe a 12 mpg current mpg...which does not take into account that I'm likely driving more efficiently at 37 TPS rather than at a lower TPS.

I have to agree with this. Does this differentiate with an automatic versus a manual?

I notice when I accelerate at a higher throttle position, my instant gallons per hour is over 2 gallons per hour...almost 3 and it seems to make my gas needle drop faster, which is why I have been skeptical of accelerating at higher RPMs and higher throttle.