View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
My ex-girlfriend is supposed to be paying me $150 monthly for Bacon, although she did not have a down payment. I try to not think about all of the ways that this can go wrong. We have a contract and I am not sure that it helps.
The contract helps in the court of law, but not so much in the friendship department.

If you value not getting screwed over more than friendship, then the chances of things going wrong is slim. You have the option to file suit and repo the car, keeping whatever payments have already been made.

I have a policy against maintaining contact with ex girlfriends even though all of my past relationships have ended on friendly terms. It's easier to make myself available to the right relationship when I divorce myself from the wrong ones.

The other reason I don't keep exes (or women in general) as friends is that the "friendship" rarely meets the definition of friend. Women have the magical ability to get men to do things for them because they are "friends", but it often is more of a 1 way street sort of friendship. "Sure, I'll fix your engine problems and replace your worn brake pads"; saving $500 of labor. You'll be lucky to get some cookies as a thank you.

I have all of the skills and interesting sports and hobbies to contribute to a friendship, while women typically have little of the things that would be of use or interest to me to make the friendship an equal exchange. Being useful and entertaining is how men show love, and we dote on women to compete for their attention. Typically one or the other will have romantic hopes for the relationship that goes unrequited.

I'm not saying that great friendships cannot exist between men and women (my wife is my best friend), but maintaining a relationship with an ex has tremendous potential to screw you over, and not in the fun way (more in the emotional/financial way).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!