View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
My '69 Chevy has vents in the kicker panels that open up to circulate air low in the cab, as well as through the vents, and the vent windows which move awesome amounts of air.

My '65 Ford truck has these foot vents too. They are unbelievable compared to a modern car! I noticed that with no door speakers, my Civic also gets drafts in a similar area during high winds. I seriously thought about adding real vents down there, with an outlet at the rear of the car in the spare tire well or hatch. I imagine with a couple small NACA inlets in the very front of the doors and short ducts through the door cards, one could have really well (passively) ventilated car.

This would be more for comfort than efficiency because the Civic's ventilation sucks. Remember that every time your car moves air, whether around the outside or through the inside (with the fan off), it's creating drag. Maybe the foot vent method could be adapted, modernized and tweaked for efficiency, because it is a really great way to stay cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2014)