View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
........As a general rule of thumb, stay away from oem tires. They are built for a quiet and cushy ride, not long lasting with a focus on wet grip. Barry's Tire Tech
Sorry, but I don't think that was the conclusion from my web page on the subject. If anything, I said that OE tires have better RR, but worse wear and traction - especially wet traction - properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Outside of performance applications, OEM tires are the finest cheap-ass abominations available. Even the "same" tire available on the market is a different part number- and more expensive and a higher quality.
One has to be very careful here.

Usually that statement is NOT true - that is, most of the time the same identical tire is sold to vehicle manufacturers and in the open market - but there are enough exceptions to cloud the issue.

Sometimes, a vehicle manufacturer will not want a particular tire, and it is common for the tire manufacturer to revert the tire back to replacement market specs (as opposed to the OEM's specs.) In that case, the tire will have a different part number, but have the same name.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!