View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #1162 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Thanks. I hope that Paul doesn't take to disliking me. I hadn't forgotten Post #1062. The confusion set in because there's also a DC controller thread (as you know) and I was trying to follow along.

Apparently the DC controller has no application to Toyota Synergy Drive components. Which is why E*clipse is working on the resolver details.

Why 3-phase

My current (ha!) understanding is that DC with a commutator is like greyhound chasing a mechanical rabbit, where polyphase AC is (thanks to the magic of the Right-hand rule) an electrical vortex that drags the rotor arond with it. That leaves brushless DC and single-phase AC for me to 'brush' up on.

3-phase DC is sounding like Selsyn (synchro) motors with the master simulated in software.

Reverse would be just switching A and B, right?

Edit: e*clipse -- I looked at the page I linked to to define selsyn (self synchonizing) motors and about 80% of the way down the page there is a section on Resolvers. Quoting:
Quote:
It is possible to derive resolver-like quadrature angular components from a synchro transmitter by using a Scott-T transformer. The three TX outputs, 3-phases, are processed by a Scott-T transformer into a pair of quadrature components. See Scott-T chapter 9 for details.

There is also a linear version of the resolver known as an inductosyn. The rotary version of the inductosyn has a finer resolution than a resolver.
Maybe something useful there?

Last edited by freebeard; 10-01-2014 at 09:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (10-01-2014)