View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Frank
EcoModding Lurker

[Dark Secret]: I have two motivations for this project. One is to improve efficiency, I've been trying to keep up with Vetter's work. It's been pretty effective in helping out folks like Terry Hershner.

Second is that I've done some land speed racing. LSR is essentially power versus aerodynamics. Here's the bike I'm talking about up at Loring:

I'm carrying a *lot* of battery (100 mile range) and am considering changing that some day (mainly to reduce weight) but in the meantime it's what I have. Here's a lousy plan view of the bike taken in my garage. It's a bit truncated but you can see what I'm working with:

It's a first generation Hayabusa which has a documented Cd of around .5 (without the saddlebags obviously.) I can extend bodywork to 10" behind the rear tire. I can also increase the wheelbase to get more length.

freebeard: that's an interesting graphic. I've been sketching out designs like that. FWIW, "d" is presently 28" and "l" is (6 + 10) = 16". I thought the optimum "closure" angle was closer to 15*?

(thanks everyone)