View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have fixed everything that I started fixing, although I never finished the power steering delete, because the car always needed things that were more important.

Painting, though, I understand to not be something that just takes longer if you are still learning, if you do not know what you are doing, it will look bad, and then fail.

PGFPro, are you saying that I could pay someone else to paint my car for what the paint alone would cost?

I looked into repainting my car when I first purchased her. I read about paints that were allegedly as good as the name-brand ones, but much less, and they insisted that you could prime, paint, and clear-coat with one layer.

None of that made any sense to me.

Nobody says that it is worth redoing, but I could remove the remaining 99% of the paint with a drill and Scotchbrite, and pay someone else to actually paint? I would just need the ISO safety equipment and booth to actually paint, right? Not that I want to be breathing my old paint!

Well, it really sounds like I needed to ask you guys about this before I started. How long would touch-up paint last?

Crazing goes all of the way through the paint and primer, but you can barely feel it?

Someone tried to convince me to purchase Dad's Focus. She said that prospective employers look at applicants' cars and it made a big difference with dating, too. She said she used to do the hiring at a temp agency and used to send out minions to look at the car of people being interviewed.

That is a strange story...
I should of been more specific, sorry I meant if your just going to paint the hood only you can probably have someone paint it after you strip it for the same cost of the materials to paint the hood. The reason is because the quantity that the primers, sealer and color and clear come in.

What we do today in the refinish world is we set up our customers with a complete mixing bank and scale that runs off a computers system that allow very small amounts of product to be made (primers,sealers, color and clear). Down to two ounces. So a Body Shop will only use 20% verse you buying the products based on the containers the product come in. In other words you will have a lot of material left over from a job. Now this is OK if you are going to do other jobs and will be using the left overs at a later date?

Now the other factor that is the big one is most likely you will not be happy with the your first attempt of painting your car. Just last week I know of three customers that wanted to do their own painting, and all three screw the pooch and are re-doing their jobs over again One of them is on his third try. One is doing a motor cycle and has thrown away over $1000.00 in materials. Thanks to cable shows today,the flip this car and restoration shows are making people think this is very easy work and very profitable. The man hours that go into a paint restoration job are unreal!!! They never show how much time it takes to prep and paint a car. They just drop it off and the next day its ready. Its a total joke!!! I have been on a filming set where as soon as they are done shooting one step and the cameras are off about eight body men come in and start thrashing on the car. It looks like a ant nest that just got stepped on. lol OK enough of my rant. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-02-2014)